Monday 3 August 2009

The Cell (2000)



So last night I was up flicking through the hundreds of channels on TV with nothing on any of them, and eventually settled on 'The Cell' a film by director Tarsem Singh starring Jenifer Lopez and Vince Vaughn. I hardly had high expectations for the film as Jenifer Lopez was playing the main female role, and the storyline and acting hardly exceeded my expectations, but the one thing that did keep me watching was the highly elaborate sets, makeup, costumes and camera angles involved in some of the scenes were Jenifer Lopes's character is inside someones imagination/head. (basically there us a machine that allowes''J-Lo's'' character to go into the mind of a serial killer who is in a coma, to look for answers) I found that the scenes that were set in the imagination of the characters were very interesting and it was as good a visual representation of being inside a crazy person's imagination as I can think of. The attention to detail, dream-like sets and colours constantly reminded me of some of the scenes in Hellboy and Pans Labyrinth two of the more commercial works of Guillermo del Toro. So as the film as a whole, it wasn't the best, but its definitely worth watching for the glimpses of surrealism 'in the mind of a serial killer'.

No comments:

Post a Comment