Monday 3 August 2009

Coldplay's 'Strawberry Swing' - Shynola



More than anything, when I watch this video, the thing I think about most is the amount of time it must have taken to create this world entirely from chalk. It shows Chris Martin the front man act out his day as a superhero while lying down on a floor as the world is animated behind him in coloured chalk. The subject of the video is a little weird were he fights with a giant squirrel to save the princess from the teacup, but the the idea of creating the world from chalk on the floor is something that reminds me of being a kid, were my sister and I used to colour in our granparents patio with chalk and draw all down the path untill it eventually got washed away in the rain. The execution of the idea is perfect. The section were his cape is cut and he's falling down towards the buildings I find looks particularly good, I'm not really sure why but I just like the look of him falling towards the buildings and slowing down as he opens the umbrella. But when you look into who did the video you find out that its the work of Shynola, so its hardly surprising that the animation is flawless, as they are responsable for videos like Radiohead's Pyramid Song, and Blur's Good song, which are both award winning animated music videos. There is no doubt that this new addition to their portfolio will be recieved well, and is on par if not better than their previous stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment